Whole30: Two Weeks Later

It’s been a little over two weeks since I completed my Whole30 and now that I’ve finished posting my journey, I thought getting the blog back to real-time would be a good idea.

So how’s it going? Read on and find out! (This post is slightly longer but I really didn’t want to break it up into two days. Forgive-sies?)

After Whole30: April 8, 2017

We and some friends went to dinner last night and I ordered  a steak that wasn’t totally compliant. I was told that all the steaks are pre-marinated and I couldn’t get one plain. I thought I’d go ahead and give a it a whirl and see what happened. I asked for nothing else to be added to it and ordered garlic roasted asparagus and tomatoes as the side.

Oh the regret. In under an hour I had a headache that progressed into a minor migraine by the end of the evening. By the time I got home I was tired and irritable, my head was pounding and I wanted nothing more than to be in bed. I felt sluggish and terrible.

When the time comes to actually go off plan you can bet I’m going to do a proper reintroduction. I hate trying to guess what it was that caused me trouble.

After Whole30: Monday, April 10, 2017

A friend who has also done Whole30 offered to share her recipes with me and I’m excited to try them out. Doing my first 30 days alone (well, not alone because I had a great support system in my husband) was a choice I don’t regret. But, now that this is a lifestyle choice, it’s nice to have like-minded people to share the journey with. I’m looking forward to summer break from school so I have a little more time to spend cooking and experimenting.

I’ve kept up with my plank challenge and I am slowly noticing that I’m getting stronger. I haven’t been perfict with meeting my daily step goal, but the few days I’m missed the mark, I’ve made up the next day. In the end, my weekly totals have all been right on the money.

I still wish I was making it to the gym and I know I need to make time for it now but honestly, the semester is done in about two weeks. Doing my at-home exercising is just going to have to be enough until after finals.

Also, I’ve noticed an unexpected side effect of eating whole30. My hair is so much healthier! I no longer need the leave-in conditioner I’ve had to use for years. It’s no longer dry and frizzy and it’s less affected by humidity than has been the norm. Pretty happy about that!

After Whole30: Friday, April 14, 2017

Doing good keeping my Whole30 eating going. Other than that night with the marinated steak, I’ve not eaten anything non-compliant. My only negatives are that my allergies persisted for almost 3 weeks straight of sinus drainage and sore throat and I’m seeing an increase in gas again. I’m just now feeling better from the allergies! The good news is that my allergies never got worse and other than the sinuses and throat, I didn’t have any other of the normal seasonal allergy symptoms. The sinus and throat were annoying enough by themselves, thank you. And the gas isn’t the excruciating, double-me-over-in-pain kind which is nice. But some days I wake up still suffering from the night before and it lasts all day. Since I’m still eating the same way I ate during my program, I’m not sure what’s causing the increase. 😦

After Whole30: Saturday, April 15, 2017

Tomorrow is Seth’s birthday but since it’s also Easter Sunday, we had his party today. I had no issues with not eating the cake and ice cream…until everyone else was eating cake and ice cream and I couldn’t have any.  I found myself wanting to join them. I knew neither the cake nor the ice cream would taste good enough to offset the horrible guilt and regret I would feel afterwards but it made me sad that I wasn’t joining in the celebration.

I wanted to eat cake and ice cream with the rest of my family to celebrate my sons birthday.

I think it had far more to do with feeling like I wasn’t allowed to celebrate with everyone than about the cake itself. It’s unfortunate because I no longer want food to be a reward! I don’t want eating to be how I celebrate. So, next time I could make myself a Whole30 “compliant” dessert (in “quotes” because desserts aren’t allowed on Whole30) to eat while everyone is having their cake but then I’m using food as a celebration.


After Whole30: Easter Sunday, April 16, 2017

We still have cake here. I’m frustrated because I don’t want to eat the cake but I’m having to constantly make that choice and it’s getting harder, less automatic, to say I don’t want the cake. I’m not going to give in because I know I will HATE MYSELF if I do. Deliberately having something off plan is one thing. Eating cake because it’s in the house even when I don’t want it, is absolutely what I’m trying to get away from.

So today while out, I stopped to get dates to make a Whole30-ish dessert. But I’m annoyed because if there wasn’t cake in the house, and everyone eating cake (and other sweets) around me for two days now, I wouldn’t be trying to find a dessert I can have. I honestly don’t want a dessert and I’m going to avoid making my healthier option – but if it’s a choice between eating cake and eating Whole30 brownie bites made from compliant ingredients, you can bet it’s going to be brownie bites.

After Whole30: Tuesday, April 18, 2017

I survived the cake and did it without a SWYPO food. Serious “You are AWESOME, Girl!” points for me. It was hard. I had a small bowl of strawberries and three dates Sunday evening and I’ve been fine since. I LOVE this program! I LOVE eating this way! I seriously just kicked Cake’s butt with strawberries and dates! Take that, sugar demon!

Yesterday was a 14 hour day that involved blowing my Fitbit up with over 16,000 steps. Today will be a 15 hour day of classes. I’m not sure which one is going to be the easier. I was halfway dressed this morning in my comfy bluejeans when I remembered I had a presentation and needed to dress business casual. I cried a little inside. I was looking forward to being comfortable. But then I put on my go-to black dress pants and they are significantly looser than last time I wore them.


I’ve been waging the scale battle the last few days. I promised myself I’d wait 30 days again before weighing and I’m sticking to that promise. But it would sure be nice to know my progress is still going steady.

After Whole30: Friday, April 21, 2017

It has been the longest, busiest week and this is going to be a super short update.


I only have one more week of classes before final exams and I am crazy-busy trying to get everything done. I’ve done really well with eating but not so much with the exercise. I haven’t met my step goal the last two days and I haven’t done my plank in more days then that.


Honestly, I’ll worry all about that after finals.

I haven’t been struggling with the scale so much lately. I can see and feel the difference in how my clothes fit. I can see the weight-loss in my face. Which means, I don’t need the scale to tell me I’m doing alright. 🙂 In fact, I’ve got one pair of pants that have become so loose-fitting it’s about time to retire them. I also wore a pair of capris today I couldn’t wear three weeks ago. And now my coffee with coconut milk tastes normal to me and I look forward to it in the mornings.

Oh, and I had to tighten my Fitbit another notch. 😀

Now if only the last two weeks of this semester could be going so well!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: